Using Instagram for Business Marketing
25th Jun 2012
Instagram development life in San Francisco, back in March 2010 when Kevin Systrom and Michel "Mike" Krieger chose to focus their multi-featured HTML5 check-in project on mobile photography. Running on an iPhone, this app allowed users to take pictures, tag and share and also apply a host of filters to create Lomo and other effects. The social element has really driven the community and this in turn has driven the value of the company.
From rounds to funding starting with $0.5m in March 2008, then $7m early 2011, and another $50m early this year, the app has grown in functionality and the community has continued to grow. In April this year the Android version was released and it was downloaded more than 1 million times in under 3 days, then just two weeks later on April 12th, Facebook bought Instagram for around $1bn in cash and stock.
I get asked a lot about Social Media marketing, Facebook Marketing and emerging apps like Instagram and Pinterest. So why should you care? And how can you use Instagram for your business?
Well, firstly, Instragram has an estimated 35 million users but more importantly photos are one of the most shared content types on Facebook. Following its acquisition it really can give your businesses a visually appealing way to showcase yourselves in a soft way, without being too pushy. Especially if you can represent your business in a graphical or photographic way.
To get you started, here are 5 quick and simple ways you can use Instagram for your business.
- Pre-Promotion: You can use Instagram to 'leak' behind the scenes photos, or close ups of something you're working on and getting ready to release.
- Build your Expert credentials: You can use the network and post pictures of you at industry leading events or key notes, or working on your products.
- Build your credibility through customer testimonials: Take photos of great pieces of work, and things that get your recognised, include any thank you cards your receive.
- Be social: Take pictures of staff, your office, company lunches etc.
- Engage with the community: We can profile people with influence and engage those to take pictures relating to you and your brand. Instantly pushing your message out to their audience.
If you have a new produce you want to launch and you really want to work with an expert in the social media market, or you just wanted to increase your exposure and include more inbound marketing as a part of your mix give us a call.
In the meantime here is a nice graphical timeline in true Instagram Style.